Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How do I keep from having to cut geraniums back?

I have had a geranium for 10 years now, and have started several from that plant, it is a very unique color, have not been able to find any that color over the years. These plants are huge, but get so disapointed every spring that I have to cut them down, the leaves end up turning red,and dry up, so before that point I just cut them back, it is so hard to do because they are so beautiful. I end up doing the same in the fall when I bring them in for the winter, they grow back very full, so does this happen for all of you that winter geraniums ? They have been blooming now for the past 2 months, I just love them.

How do I keep from having to cut geraniums back?
yes it hurts, but if you don't the plant will over-grow and not be able to do those pretty blooms!.... your leaves are getting red because of cold temperatures... they're too cold... when the leaves turn red, the plant goes into shut-down and it will take a little longer for it to come back into blooming mode.....if you have one that's ten yrs old, you're doing something right!... keep on!!....
Reply:red leaves are a sign of nutrient deficiency or maybe i read your question wrong and its due to cold? sorry. Anyway you do unfortunately have to cut them back, in fact it can be beneficial to the plant. Cutting off flowers and dead parts can help the plant "fill out".


No comments:

Post a Comment